Later peoples...

Random musings of a "•Twisted Limb•"

            About Me

My photo
Just somebody you didn't know before.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Ralphy, I love you...

This is not a post of happiness, but rather one of potential saddness.  Julie called and the Vet says that Ralphy does indeed have a tumor on his spleen and it's not a small one.  His arthritis in his spine reaches from his neck to his tail and is very deeply entrenched.
Also, the vet said that if we elected to, we could have surgery and they would remove the tumor and spleen but the recovery would be long and painful for him and should it be malignant, his time would be cut a lot shorter.  Considering his age and overall condition, we've decided, Julie, Melissa and I, that we will make him as comfortable as possible and allow him to live out what time he has... Believe it, we will spoil him too.
He has been such a wonderful friend and pet.  When people tell you that a dog or cat is just an animal, well to put it bluntly, they're full of shit.  Ralph is as much a family member as any of our children are regarding the love and care that we afford him.
We've had him a little over 11 years now and never ever was there a moment when any of us regretted having him.  We don't know when the time will come and can only hope as you would for a terminally ill relative, that he will pass in his sleep... I love you Ralphy.
That is all for today, I've lost my writing appetite for now.  Bless you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how special Ralphy is to all of you and I know what you are going through b/c we went through with our dog "Princess". They are a part of your family just like your kids. Make the days special with him.

Leann said...

I am truly sorry Dennis. I know you and your family will make the most of the time you have with him.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

denny said...

Thank you both for your comments. I appreciate them. Life doesn't always have roses in it... sometimes you have to deal with the thorns too.