Later peoples...

Random musings of a "•Twisted Limb•"

            About Me

My photo
Just somebody you didn't know before.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

He's happy to be home and Oh Daytona was such a good time...

Well it’s Wednesday and I am feeling pretty foxy.  It's been quite a stretch since I last posted but I warned ya I would be gone... anyway, here goes...
I decided not to deliver meals today as I actually got home very late due to some airport problems both in Charlotte and Phoenix. I gotta tell you that the Daytona trip far exceeded my expectations and I would have been happy to spend twice as much for the good time I had. Saw the grandkids and Mandy at Charlotte, we had about 45 minutes together before Sean and I boarded the plane to Daytona. We got there about 9am and checked into the hotel (we ended up renting a car at the Daytona airport... can you believe $530 for 4 days.??? It was nice to have transportation, but not that nice. We unloaded the car at the hotel then headed out to the track... Daytona International Raceway is HUGE. I couldn’t have imagined, watching the races on TV the enormous size and complexity of the place. Fortunately, we had ‘Cold’ passes, which are good for everywhere when the cars are NOT on the TRACK. We meandered thru the pits, the gas fueling place, the area where the Goodyear Racing tires are all mounted up, strolled thru the pit area, got to see the cars in the garages with the folks working on them. I got to say Hi to Jack Rousch, he is the epitome of an asshole though, just looked at me and scowled and walked on... I also said hi to Tony Eury Jr. , Dale Jr’s Brother and leader of the crew... he is another guy that is NOT personable. Lots of pictures, as a matter of fact, 250 of them just from my camera. The weather for Thursday and Friday was warm and humid and partly sunny. Saturday weather was postcard perfect... as a matter of fact, mother nature grilled me really well on saturday. I’ve been peeling and scratching my scalp since. Sunday was OK, but the rains eventually did show up and that stopped the race at lap 152 which was well past half way so Matt Kenseth, being the leader at the time the red flag was dropped, was declared the winner. I never did get anywhere close to Dale Jr. but that’s OK. I might just track him down next time I am in Charlotte. Great time, Great to be back so on goes the saga...

2 comments:

Leann said...

I'm so glad you had a good time Dennis. Unfortunately I have experienced and heard that the drivers can be quite rude. I don't know if it's the stress of the race and their focus, or what exactly, but it would be nice if they realizedc who puts the food on their table.

Anyway, I'm really glad to have you home and we'll have to get together next week if you're available.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!!!!

I am glad that you had a wonderful time. There is alwys going to be rude people no matter what they do for a living.

You and Sean looked like you had a blast. It was fun looking through the pictures.